Friday, July 25, 2008

Pastel Landscapes

These are some of my earlier pastel paintings. I have been hiking and camping in a number of national parks and wilderness areas and these places provide many beautiful landscapes to paint just a little off the beaten track.


"Autumn Passage " shows a point on the trail to Spence Field in the Smoky Mountains National Park. It is 20" x 24" on Canson paper. This piece won 2nd place in the Mooresville Artist Guild's spring show in 2006. It was also juried into the North Carolina Pastel Society's show in 2007.

"Rocky Mountain Vista" was painted from a camping trip to the southern Rockies with the Sierra Club. I like the cool of the distant mountains and sky compared to the warmth of the golden grasses in the foreground. The painting is 19" x 26" on Canson paper.

"Alpine Afternoon" originates from the same Rocky Mt. camping trip as the painting above. It is 9" x 12" on Wallis paper.


This painting depicts the River Taff that flows through Cardiff, Wales. Many years ago I had a scholarship to spend a year there studying medical photography. I used to ride my bicycle along this path to get to the hospital where I was training.

No comments: